Thursday, October 2, 2008

Alright, I think it is time for a random story.

Okay, so as I was walking home from work today, I came across two praying mantises...is that how you spell it? Or is it manti? Anyway..they were squashed in the road. This brought memories of elementary school flooding back into my mind and it made me laugh. Boy, I was such a weird girl. Okay, on with the story. So in the fall there were always TONS of these things crawling all over the school building. Seriously. There were millions. And for some strange reason, I loved them. I loved these disgusting-looking bugs. I remember walking to school one morning and upon arriving, saw a group of my school friends gathered together in a circle. I, being curious, approached the huddle to see what was going on. What I saw made me sick. There were two praying mantises in the middle of the group and I just happened to walk up as one kid double dared another to stomp on them. It made me sick. I couldn't believe how cruel these kids were. I cried.
That afternoon, when the bell rang and school was over, I ran home. I was so disturbed by what had happened that I gathered up some paper cups and paper towels and headed back. That night, I collected all the little praying mantises I could find and brought them home with me. Each and every one of them had a name and each and every one of them had their own little spot in my mom's flower garden.

1 comment:

Jacki Lee said...

oh kirsten you were such a weirdo!!! do you rememeber who this boys were?