Saturday, March 14, 2009

montana

I've been rummaging through old pictures lately. I've been trying to organize and scan them all. Like I've said before, its some big family history project that I'm working on. And its a very, very long, time-consuming process. But I've come across some old pictures that I love and some that bring back so many good memories.
So I'm planning on sharing some of them as I go.

The one from my last post was a picture of wintertime at my grandparent's cabin in Montana. They never would stay up there for the winter. They'd head South in their motorhome until the snow was pretty much gone. Like vagabonds. Oh, what a life!

My grandparents moved from Washington to Montana sometime in 1992.
We'd go up there every summer and spend a couple weeks. The days were long, carefree, and filled with adventure. We'd spend them outside underneath the towering pines. Laying in the hammock. I remember running around barefoot, wildflowers, garter snakes, feeding the deer, hummingbirds, going down to the lake with our picnic lunch, nightly campfires and roasting marshmallows. I'm pretty convinced that they were the best summers of my life. These pictures were taken in 1992. This baby owl had fallen out of his nest. We happened to come across him and I got to hold him before Rick, a nature-wildlife-forest guy who knew exactly what to do, put him back up in his tree.This picture is of a bear that thought he was a bird. Yes, he is just splashing away in the bird bath that is a little too small for him.I love bears.My grandparents moved to Utah in 1999 to be closer to us. It has almost been 11 years since I've been there. I'd go back in a heartbeat if given the chance. Even though I miss it like you wouldn't believe, I feel so fortunate to at least have the memories.


I hope this is what heaven is like.

No comments: